Thursday, April 10, 2008

Home Sweet Home...

Ok. You may be saying to yourself, "Why in the world is that crazy girl taking a picture of some old dilapidated, paint peeling, rusty grill?" (We still use this grill. Or at least did. I mean, come on, it is used to start and maintain fire so it doesn't have to be pretty.) Then yesterday, when I lifted the cover, I found this. Something thought it was just perfect. Perfect enough to start a family in.
I looked inside and found this little treasure. Got my camera took these pictures and replaced the lid. Called my friend, Amy B.-animal lover extraordinaire, to find out what to do with it. *Would've loved to use the grill but decided to use the other one. *Amy called the wildlife preserve in IL where she lives. They told her if I must move it, put it in a cardboard box with one end open. The momma bird may come back or not. They usually don't lay just one egg.

Well, today, I wanted to see if there was evidence that the momma had come back. Lo and behold, there are two eggs in the nest now. I decided to leave it alone. She must of laid it sometime during the night or early morning. Maybe there will be a bunch of little chirpies zooming around soon.That's a good reason to smile. Babies are always great. That is unless it is baby snakes! Those I can live without.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh yes, let's really hope it's not snakes. we have a bird building a nest in the carport. not sure if there are eggs yet or not. :) be sure and keep the camera handy.

gimmegodiva said...

So fun! The girls will love watching the babies grow and learn to fly!!

Lisa said...

How cute - who would have expected that. I remember mom having birds hatch in a birdhouse on her deck. We had to stand in chairs to peek in (i was over 20, but ya know - i'm short). We could see their little skinny necks and their heads sticking up with their little beaks open and chirping away. it was so sweet!!!

sally hanna said...

i know you're not thinking about moving that momma's nest. don't do it. and oh my, those pics of the girls that amy took are UNBELIEVABLE. xoxo

Anonymous said...

Mary, welcome back!! I just checked your blog on the off-chance and find that I've missed a couple of weeks' worth. Congrats on the job; it's just one of the blessings going to come your way. I'm so proud that you've recognized and admitted out loud how strong you are. We knew it all along, but it's a biggie that you're knowing it and owning it. You go, girl!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the jobs! I had a momma bird build her nest in my flower pot on our deck. The pics of the girls are incredibly beautiful!

Anonymous said...

We have the exact same eggs in our grill now! When I peeked this morning the mamma bird was actually in there laying her second egg! The kids are so excited..so am I!

Anonymous said...

Hey girl..just googled the Carolina wren we both have in our grills. Looks like once the eggs are laid the babies are hatched and out of the next within about a month. But.....they will reuse the nest two to three times per year. I'm planning on hanging up a bird house after these babies hatch..and covering the grill. Hubby is not going to let me keep a nest in his grill all year! hee hee